The Multicultural Student Center, Division of Student Life, is hiring an Associate Communication and Technology Specialist Intern. This specialist will serve in a management/supervisor and assist the MSC Communications Specialist staff member with student evaluations and scheduling as well as communications material production. They are expected to have an advanced knowledge of computer technology (web design, social media, and Adobe Creative Suite). This position also functions as an Assistant Editor position for MSC publications. Please note the MSC Assistant Director serves as the supervisor for the entire internship program.
Must be able to work a minimum of 12 hours/week. Hourly wage: $11/hour
- 2.5 Cumulative G.P.A. Required for Hire
- Written/verbal communications skills; specifically ability to write and edit content for a diverse array ofaudiences
- Management experience
- Excellent customer service skills
- Aspire to utilize this opportunity as an ongoing professional development experience
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects
Must have proven experience in at least two of the following:
- Desktop publishing (proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- New media competency (video, social media, blogging, web CMS)
- Digital photography skills
- Multimedia journalism experience (interviewing, reporting, and crafting stories for publication)
- Editorial Experience
Associate Communication and Technology Specialist Intern Responsibilities Include:
- Conduct peer evaluations twice a year and provide one-on-one checks
- Assist in production of Tapestry, MSC’s monthly newsletter, and Threads, MSC’s blog
- Help assign other interns stories as necessary
- Assist with formatting, editing, and compiling updates for the weekly announcements and weekend job board
- Research, propose article ideas, and write copy about multiculturalism, social justice education, leadership development, current events, and other relevant subjects to MSC stakeholders. Outputs may include short newsletter articles, feature stories, blog posts, web blurbs, and press releases
- Coordinate, schedule and conduct interviews with faculty, staff, students, and community members for newsletter and blog spotlights as well as attend and report on campus and student organization events
- Help maintain social media presence (Facebook, Twitter) by regularly crafting posts and updates to promote events, share news, and engage dialogue
- Provide copyediting and proofreading support
- Assist with creative graphic design and layout as necessary
All MSC Student Intern’s Responsibilities’ include:
- Serve as the first contact for all MSC stakeholders (students, faculty, invited guest and organizations) utilizing the Center and other Red Gym facilities
- Opening and closing the Center during the appropriate shifts.
- Keep all work areas clean and orderly (reading room, lounge, conference room, front desk, etc.)
- Attend bi-weekly student life intern staff meetings (coordinated by supervisor)
- Work on special projects as assigned by Center staff, which may include bulk mail projects,updates of reference materials, retrieving copy paper from the MSC Supply Room, developing flyers and program announcements and other duties as assigned.
- Implement MSC policies and procedures as they pertain to MSC students, guests and patrons.
- Participate in all MSC sponsored programs (when feasible)
Position open until filled. Please e-mail resume and cover letter to Rachel Kuo, Communications Specialist at email@example.com.