The American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) is an organization with more than 1.6 million members across the country and is the nation’s largest and fastest growing public service employees union. They have a number of paid internship and employment opportunities available for sophomore, junior, and senior level students who are committed to social and economic justice and are interested in gaining hands-on experience in helping primarily low-wage workers gain rights on the job and win better wages, benefits, and working conditions.
Alternative Union Break is a program for students interested in learning about the labor movement and the work of union organizing. Participants travel to a union organizing campaign for five days of intensive classroom and field training. Program participants will be provided with lodging and transportation during the week as well as a $125 stipend for food. Students are responsible for providing their own transportation to the campaign site. For more information and to apply, visit www.unionbreak.org. Next session: Summer 2012 in Madison,WI. June 3rd – 8th. Deadline to apply: May 23rd.
Organizer in Training Program: You go where the workers are organizing; you must be able to travel. You would be helping workers fight back strategically in states across the country by helping them build their union and collective power for public service workers. Available upon graduation.
Union Scholars Summer Internship/Scholarship: Open to students of color interested in a career in social justice and union organizing. Stipend for the summer and $5,000 Scholarship upon successful completion. Deadline to apply is 2/28/13 for Summer 2013. Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors eligible to apply. For more information on any of these programs, and to apply, visit www.afscmeorganizers.org or contact Sherry Wright: firstname.lastname@example.org, 513-910-0998.
Journey Mental Health Center has been providing services to the residents of Wisconsin for more than sixty years. They offer mental health and substance abuse services to individuals across their life span. JMHC believes that cultural competence of agency staff is fundamental to providing quality services that promote individual and family strengths, dignity and self-reliance.
- Alternative Sanctions Program Coordinator: Coordinates three multi-agency community based programs; Drug Treatment Court, Day Report and Treatment Program (DART) and Treatment Alternative Program (TAP). Due May 11. Full-time.
- Clinical Team Manager: Promotes the mission and vision of organization and provides agency leadership to achieve the Center’s overall cultural competence and consumer involvement goals. Due May 11. Full-time.
- Clinical Team Leader: Responsible for providing professional clinical and supervisory services to diverse populations served by JMHC. Due May 14. Full-time.
- Crisis Stabilizer: Assist the Crisis Stabilization Coordinator with coordinating a system of “Optional Stabilization Services” in accordance with Emergency Mental Health Service Programs. Due May 14. 80% of full-time.
- AODA-Intoxicated Driver Evaluator: Assesses a variety of voluntary and court-ordered clients, summarizes clients’ cultural and personal strengths along with clinical AODA signs and symptoms, and recommends clinical or other remedial programs and plans of care. Due May 11. Less than 20 hours a week
- Mental Health Aide: Works in a variety of ways to provide one-on-one support to individuals experiencing a mental health crisis. Due May 10.
- Child, Family, and Adult Clinical Specialist: Responsible for providing culturally competent emergency mental health assessments and interventions for adults. Rolling deadlines.
- Program Support Specialist: Assist the CSP team with the organization, administration and coordination of the operations of the program. Open until filled.
Applications and job descriptions are available at http://www.journeymhc.org/career. You can also pickup applications at Journey Mental Health Center, 625 W Washington Ave., Madison, between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday or by phone at (608) 280-2677. Resumes are NOT accepted in place of completed application forms, but can be attached. Employment is contingent upon a receipt of favorable results of background history and driver’s record check.
Midwest Communications Radio Opportunities:
- Overnight Announcer: 101 WIXX has a very rare full-time opening in Green Bay. If you can be creative and fresh 7 to 8 times per hour, they definitely want to hear from you. Listen online to get the vibe at wixx.com. This position would include daily production, some website updating and helping out with various daytime promotions during the week and weekends. Email your package today. Please keep air checks under 3 minutes, and include a resume and cover letter. Email address is: email@example.com or mail to WIXX, Attn; Corey Carter, Brand Manager, 1420 Bellevue St., Green Bay, WI 54311
- Night Show Personality: Immediate opening for a full time Night Show (7p-12a) personality for 100.7 MIX-FM (WMGI) in Terre Haute, IN. If you are motivated, organized, a team player, and get “it” we want to hear from you! The individual we’re looking for loves both community and listener involvement. You will be live a minimum of 5 nights a week and tracked as needed. This is not a starter position…we are looking for SUPERSTARS!!!! Can you light up the phones, facebook, twitter, texting…and keep your listeners coming back for more? If you have an outstanding work ethic, great people skills and a proven track record of dominate ratings, apply TODAY! We will need to get the usual resume and demo (NO LINK for these items). We will need links for your radio-related (not personal) facebook and twitter. Send To: Diva.firstname.lastname@example.org or snail mail to: WMGI-FM Radio, Attn: Natalie Randall, Brand Manager, 824 S. 3rd Street, Terre Haute, IN 47807
- News Director: Immediate opening for a full time New Director/AM Host (WIBQ) in Terre Haute, IN. The individual we’re looking for loves getting out in the community and can deliver a MAJOR MARKET Show in our small market town. We are looking for someone that is compelling and has the skill that it takes to anchor our 50,000 WATT FM News/Talk. If you have an outstanding work ethic, great people skills and a proven track record, apply TODAY! We will need to get the usual resume and demo (NO LINK for these items). We will need links for any web elements that you have been in charge of as well (podcasting, website, radio-related (not personal) facebook and twitter). This position offers a competitive salary and full benefits package. Send To: email@example.com or mail to: Midwest Communications, Bill Cain, Operations Manager, 824 S. 3rd Street, Terre Haute, IN 47807